Intelligent Confusion

Saturday, January 13, 2007

About time too.

Today I received in the post my P45 from the Jobcentre. I started at the new job in October. It's been 15 weeks. Given that this is the Jobcentre, and that they do this for a living this is shocking. Apparently I did the wrong thing, following the advice of the front-of-house staff, and then they lost my paperwork.

To complete the picture, they've also awarded me a £100 Job Grant. This is given to medium term unemployed "to help make the period between laving benefit and receiving their wages easier". And they're right, it would have made my life easier - if it had been paid straight away.

If anyone wants to investigate waste and bureaucracy in government departments should start with the Department for Work and Pensions. The vast majority there, at least of the frontline staff, is that they are completely unemployable anywhere else. During my run of 15 months on JSA I found a grand total of 1 person who seemed to care about getting good outcomes for staff. Unfortunately then head office closed that branch and scattered them around other locations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home